Thursday, November 10, 2016

love Trumps hate?

The responses that have come out since Tuesday's election has been disheartening at best. Peers, acquaintances, parents, friends, throwing fits and tantrums over the results. More sad than the candidates running has been the outcry of rage against the results. I have watched as inner toddlers have not only leaked, but spilled all over the ground in protests. It's sad. Just sad.

Let me be clear. I didn't vote for Trump. I cannot in good conscience back and support a man that is in most ways unfit as presidential material. He has bashed and slandered many people groups, several representing people I love dearly. He is racist. He is arrogant. He is rude. He thinks he knows how to do this job that he picked up as a hobby. And he is now my president. So regardless of how much I do not like him, I must respect him. He is now the leader of my country, set in place by my God. 

I can't begin to describe to you the stomach ache this election caused. Probably not only in me but in several others. This wasn't an easy thing to participate in. But let me remind you, we have the privilege and responsibility to participate. We are allowed to vote. We have a voice.

Now that those voices have been heard and the count taken we are all dumb founded and angry. Let me break something to you. Just because you vote on something doesn't mean you will win. It means that you stated who you think should win. But instead of lining up to congratulate the opposing team the whole of the other side has stomped off the field in protest. Whining and crying the whole way.

Let me be completely honest. It's ridiculous. Is all this really going to change anything? I know it has changed one thing and that is my perception of Clinton supporters. When President Obama was elected in 2008 there was a lot of sadness and distress among the right side conservatives. It was a weight to know the country was taking a hard liberal turn left and it was ride or die. Four years later he won re-election and the conservatives of this country had to hold on for another wild ride. But never in those eight years did the whole of those conservatives vandalize, protest, or fight against the president elect. Struggle? Absolutely. Disagree wholeheartedly with his policies and laws? You bet. I am sure there were plenty that blatantly disapproved of the authority this country had but I don't recall watching news segments or reading articles that described the extent that Clinton followers have taken mere days to accomplish. For the sake of fairness I'm sure there are a few Clinton supporters that aren't kicking and screaming on the ground. It's only fair that I say as much. But if during Obama's election and re-election the conservative right siders had stated a fraction of what has come out of their counter parts have this time they would have been called racist, bigots, arrogant, heartless, rude, judgmental, Christians.

I came across this event on Facebook and every ounce of sad flooded my body.


I firmly believe this is going to happen. And this isn't a small event. Thousands have responded. Thousands are shunning him as president and thousands are gearing up to fight against what the majority of the country voted for. Thousands. 

To comment on an earlier point, let me be clear that I did not vote for Clinton either. I could not back and support the murder of thousands of more lives from babies to soldiers and the concealing of such things by the delete of an email. I could not back and support her stand on marriage, woman's rights, and "progress" as the outrage of supporters keep talking about. Her "progress" was not something I was interested in. 

But in complete fairness and in all sincerity, if the votes had been in her favor I would have to respect her as the leader of this country. I would not have been able to get behind her, support her, or agree with any of her policies but she would be the authority that was set in place but God. I would have had to respect that authority. 

As it stands, here we are. In two months President Trump will take office and the country will stay the same. We will still be the same America we were. The same broken people in need of Jesus and His grace. The same racism that was there before will still be there. The same segregation that was there before will still be there. And the left side will always stand opposite the right side with some stragglers in between unsure where to stand. 

So I have some things to say,

To Mr. Trump, I pray you're able to do this job. I pray that you are humbled by the sheer weight of responsibility you have just picked up. I pray that God brings you to your knees and uses you in mighty ways. I pray that you are able to regain some conservative values and principals this country was built on all while loving the other side well and without judgements and harsh criticism. I pray that you are able to recognize and own up to the uncalled for and irresponsible things you have said to and about other people and become a leader this country needs. 

To Mr. Pence, I want to say that I thank God Mr. Trump chose you as a running mate and VP. I pray that as you back and support Mr. Trump in his presidency that you are able to maintain your belief in the risen Savior and your dedication to obedience to Him. I pray that you always seek Him in what you choose to do and that you advise Mr. Trump towards things of Him. 

To the mourning Clinton fans, I pray that you are softened and able to respect a president you didn't choose. I pray that you are able to see that beyond presidential preferences and parties we are all human. I pray that you are able to see beyond the things that Clinton was going to "give you" and see to the pain that it could have caused you. I pray that you are able to in some ways move on past this election and be able to take the next four years with some grace. 

To myself, I pray that I am able to support and back a president I do not care for. I pray that I am able to love on those who are mad at said president and show Jesus to them in an unassuming, non-patronizing way. I pray that as things change over the next four years I am able to see pain around me and love on others where that pain is...not expect them to be happy. I pray that I am able to pray for the president and the whole party. I pray that I am able to come to the Father with requests for His glory in their lives and not for their renouncement. 

To this country, I pray we once again become great. I pray that as a whole we can recognize the ways that have become quicksand around our ankles. I pray that we are able to be one country under God again.  

Lastly,

...the greatest is love...

...I am nothing without love...

...love is patient, kind, gentle, not self-seeking, not arrogant, not rude, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things...

So yes. Love does trump hate.

1 comment: